Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Review of Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

A decade+ ago, I burned through Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen in about 6 months. I was trying to get at the core of why the series was lauded. For anyone who has read the series, they know this is a bad tactic. I did not arrive at the core, or any core. In fact, I was left partially mystified. The world is big and imaginative. There is magic—a bit nebulous, but perhaps magic should be. Plotting is large and complex. The story eschews good vs evil. But beyond these potential reasons for being 'great', the book had challenges. The incredibly broad scope of characters possesses minimal detail—detail needed to make said characters stick and resonate. There is minimal (sometimes average) sense of place and setting—average to good needed for a secondary world to come alive. And story flow is mostly a flat procession of two-three page scenes with occasional, tiny spikes of drama. But like every reader, my interests and awareness evolve, and so I decided to give the series one more try, starting with Gardens of the Moon (1999).

Gardens of the Moon tells of the ambitious empress of the Malazan empire, Laseen, and her ruthless campaign to conquer the continent of Genabackis. The jewel of Genebackis is the neon blue-green city of Darujhistan. After taking the neighboring city of Pale, its there Laseen sets her sights, with the Bridgeburner brigade, and its collection of colorful soldiers, at the vanguard. Opposing the Empress is Anomander Rake, the eternal Tiste Andii lord of Moon's Spawn, a massive rock island that floats above Genabackis. At his beck and call are armies of large ravens and mage-assassins, entities Rake deploys to carry out his own mysterious plans.

One level deeper than these world-turning ambitions is a host of characters caught in and stirring the milieu. The soldiers of the Bridgeburners. The empress' Adjunct Lorn and her magic-cancelling sword. The mages and high mages of the Malazan army. The assassins and thieves who call the roofs of Darujhistan home. The city's nobles plotting for one side, another, or their own. And above them all, the mysterious gods in their warrens of magic, playing puppet masters—Shadow, Chance, Death, and others. It is a thick, clotted mix the reader must pay close attention to parse matters.

No review of Gardens of the Moon would be complete without mentioning the obvious influence in style Glen Cook had on Erikson. Anyone who has read The Black Company, for example, will immediately see the similarities. The steady pace. The flat plot with abrupt rises that quickly calm. The quirky character names. The portrayal of all sides of a conflict without prejudice. The minimal details of setting. It's all there. To be clear, Erikson's creation is 100% his own. No plagiarism of ideas here. But Cook's style is 100% an inspiration.

Gardens of the Moon is often categorized as epic fantasy. If size is the determiner, then yes, epic it is. But sword & sorcery feels the better analog. Yes, it is not sword & sorcery in the classic hero-centric mold (a la Conan or Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser), but that mode, that ground-level view to the action (as opposed to the sky-level of much epic fantasy) is Gardens of the Moon. There are epic battles, but there is no omniscient perspective to provide size and scope. It's a limited view, one from individual characters' views, that relays proceedings.

Accordingly, Gardens of the Moon is not a typical work of “epic fantasy”. A couple of the major touchstones many readers expect are missing. For one, details of setting are sparse. The book is significantly more an exercise in plot building than world-building. Likewise, it is not a character-centric book. There is a massive amount of characters, and Erikson does a lot with a little, shaping characters with a few, deft lines. But the reader does not get deep into them. Instead, each treads a fine line of serving plot versus serving character.

There are a handful of large fantasy series on my shelves that I plan to re-read until I pass from (into?) this Earth. Having read Gardens of the Moon for the second time, I don't feel there will be a third. A me-thing not an Erikson-thing, I enjoy the complex plotting; I respect the ambition; I appreciate the imagination inherent to the world; I love that it looks beyond good vs. evil. But the lack of developed characters, the inability (or the lack of interest in) building scenes, and the flatness of tone don't beckon to me like a siren, begging me to re-read. Erikson doesn't ensconce me under a night lamp until 2:00 AM, begging to find out what happens next. I need deeper characterization for that. Again, a me-thing. But possibly it's not a you-thing? Maybe the size of the world, the (well-done) blue-collar banter, the lack of rails to imagination, the vast and complex interplay of story events will capture you?

6 comments:

  1. I got stuck after book 2, never proceeded, even though I have 3 lying around. I'd rather finish all the Black Company novels first.

    What I wanted to ask: what other series do you plan to re-read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely take you less time to finish Cook. Erikson's books kept getting longer and longer and longer...

      If the context is epic fantasy, then there currently handful of series I would re-read: Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, Tokien, R. Scott Bakkrer's Second Apocalypse, Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (I know it's "science fiction", but who cares), Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God, Brian Ruckley's Godless World, and M. John Harrison's Viriconium books. And likely also Robin Hobb's Realm of Elderlings and Ken Liu's Dandelion Dynasty, but can't say for certain as I haven't completed even one read of their series. :) I read epic fantasy to relax, and with Erikson it's difficult, and only becomes more difficult the deeper you go in Malazan...

      Someday I'll pull together a Top 10 epic fantasy list. Just need a few hundred more years to read through all the series out there...

      What about you? Any epic fantasy that calls you back for a second read? What little I've read of the Black Company seems it begs for a re-read, if not to understand what the hell happened. :)

      Delete
    2. I don't read many series. Of your list I've only read Tolkien & Wolfe fully. I dropped out of Bakker during book 2, and didn't continue with Liu after the first book. I do plan to read Viriconium, but Harrison keeps on publishing and his more recent work has always gotten in the way. I think the tv series ruined Song of Ice and Fire for me, I'm not really tempted to start it. I'll check out the other series you listed.

      I might someday reread Abraham's Long Price Quartet, I liked that very much, but I read it in the beginning of my ventures into speculative fiction, and I didn't have a lot of reference, so I want to someday see how it holds up.

      As for your top lists: the perfect is the enemy of the good, so just publish your scifi list and that fantasy list already! ;)

      Delete
    3. I know you enjoy art, and for that I would strongly recommend Viriconium. Harrison begins the series in genre land, but step by deconstructing step takes the piss entirely out of genre land, ending up in an Edvard Munch-meets-Merveyn-Peake-meets-Gabriel-Garcia-Marquez-esque-esque-esque land. It descends into quotidian madness. A lot of people bounce off of the later books for their lack of strong handholds, but for the reader who can appreciate the arc Harrison is taking readers over in the stories, it's amazing.

      For more about a decade "Speculiction" has been keeping an ongoing list of top 100 speculative books and authors. I often find it difficult to distinguish between science fiction and fantasy, so I throw them all in the pot. Someday, when I feel I've surveyed enough of the landscape, I'll throw it out there. Gut says 75% of the way there. And I'll wait for you to post yours. :)

      Delete
    4. And I forgot to comment on Abraham and Bakker. I've read Abraham's two fantasy series. The Long Price is the more interesting of the two conceptually, but Abraham was still developing. The Dagger and the Coin is technically better, but does walk much closer to the heart of mainstream genre.

      Regarding Bakker, his series is phenomenal. I understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea; it's definitively outside the mainstream. But it is the definition of grimdark. It makes Joe Abercrombie and other such authors look like child's play. Bakker is a nihilist and D&D dungeon master, which makes for a unique and extremely dark story that leaves 95% of other epic fantasy out there impossible to re-read in comparison. I've finished his series twice, and each time I needed two or three weeks to find a book/author I could get into. None gave me that narcotic burn like Bakker. Did you stop after one book because he turned you off?

      Delete
    5. I read the first book of Dagger & Coin too, and didn't pursue, because it indeed felt generic.

      As for Bakker, I loved the first book. I also know you (and some other reviewers) regard it very highly, so I really wished to continue, but after 200 pages of the second book, I gave up. I've just reread my review (that's the great thing about having a blog: external memory), and I mainly bounced off the prose. I had other issues as well, but that seems to have been the main reason. I felt Bakker wrote the second book too fast, while he took 15 years for the first book.

      Sometimes doubt my decision, maybe I should have pushed on, and your comment here makes me doubt again. An extra factor is that I think Bakker more or less aligns with me ideologically - his blog was really really interesting, back when he still published on it, and his ideas about our brains, heuristics, epistemology and our current information society really resonated with me, even though it was written in a kind of cartoonish highbrow jargon. I've been told his series also tries to put some of the non-fiction he wrote at work in his fiction, so I should be right up my alley.

      I have two fiction lists on my blog, one for "scifi" and one for "fantasy", about 25 titles each, but not ranked. I'm not nearly as well read as you, so it's surely not a definitive list at all. They're under the 'favorite lists' header (that doesn't show up on most phones I've noticed).

      Delete